Pakistani Mutton or lamb qorma recipe:
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 ts coriander seeds
- 1-2 ts cayenne pepper
- 1 ts saffron threads
- 3 tbsp hot milk
- 6 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 black cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 fresh ginger, grated
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb boneless lamb, cut into-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh, sweet, unflavored-yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 ts rose/kewra water
- 1/4 cup Blanched almonds
- Grind the cumin and coriander seeds, combine with the red pepper.
- Soak the saffron in 1 or 2 tbsp hot milk.
- Heat ghee or clarified butter in a large, shallow, heavy pan.
- Stir in the onions, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to turn reddish brown, about 15 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic (crushed) and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the on ions are reddish brown.
- Stir in the ground spices and cook, stirring, for about 10-15 seconds, or until the spices release their fragrance.
- Stir half of the meat into the spice mixture.
- Increase the heat to medium high and cook, stirring for a few minutes, making sure all the meat is coated with the spices.
- Stir in the remaining meat, and cook as before, scraping the bottom of the pan. If the mixture gets too dry, splash in a little water.
- Turn the heat to medium. Start adding the yogurt ( 1 tablespoon at a time), stirring and incorporating it into the mixture before adding the next tablespoonful. Continue adding in this way until all the yogurt has been used.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover the pan and simmer the meat for about 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. If necessary, splash in a little water from time to time. When the meat is tender, and salt to taste.
- Stir the cream and cook until the sauce is thick. Stir in the saffron and rose/kewra water and heat thoroughly.
- Fry the almonds in a little oil until golden brown.
- Serve the lamb korma hot, garnished with the almonds.
- Serve korma with naan.