How to make Yakhni Pulao
Below is the recipe of authentic mutton (or lamb) yakhni pulao (pilaf):
Ingredients for yakhni (stock):
- Mutton/lamb 1 kg.
- Salt 1tsp.
- Garlic 1 bunch.
- Aniseed (saunf) 3 tbsp.
- Coriander seeds 2 tbsps.
- Black cumin 1 tsp.
- White cumin 3 tbsps.
- Cinnamon 2 inch piece.
- Cloves 6
- Black cardamom 4.
Ingredients for Pulao:
- Rice 1 kg.
- Onion two (medium, thinly sliced)
- Black cardamom three.
- Cloves six.
- Salt 4 tsp.
- Cooking oil 1/2 cup.
- Mutton stock (yakhni).
Yakhni (stock) preparation:
- Take six glasses of water in a deep pan & all the above mentioned yakhni (stock) ingredients on medium flame once it starts boiling lower the flame. Let it simmer until the mutton becomes tender. At this stage yakhni is ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. Fry onions right up until they are golden brown. Put all the spices and fry for around five minutes.
- Add mutton pieces from stock and fry with all the spices for five minutes.
- Add rice with stock (add water if stock is less then four glasses (or one kg)).
- Dry water from it on high flame.
- Once water starts drying, lower the flame and cover the pan's lid tightly for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve the Pulao with green raita.
Believe me, if everything is done according to the above recipe, you will have most delicious (mazedar) pulao/pilaf of your life.