- Rice - 3 cups
- Beef/lamb/mutton - 1 kg, Cubed
- Onions - 2, large (chopped)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cloves - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp, whole
- Salt: to taste
- Carrots - 2, (medium, grated)
- Raisins - 1/3 cup
- Oil - 1/3 cup
- Heat oil in a pot. Fry chopped onions until they turn light brown.
- Now add meat and fry till brown.
- Add water, salt, pepper, cloves and simmer till tender.
- Remove the meat. Cook until 1 cup of stock remains.
- In a seperate pan cook the grated carrots in oil until brown.
- Add raisins and fry till plump. Drain and set aside.
- Parboil the rice (do not completely cook the rice!!) and drain the rice.
- Place the rice into a large pan.
- Sprinkle zeera (cumin seeds).
- Pour the meat stock over it and stir.
- Layer the meat and half of the carrot, raisin mixture over rice.
- Cover the pan tightly and place it in a hot over for 40 mins.
- Sprinkle the rest of carrot, raisin mixture on top and serve.